Any revenue from ads will be invested in a Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro lens

August 18, 2009

RECAP: Trip 1 Day 1



Naturally I woke up far too late and so I decided to settle for Maibara rather than Makino for the trip's first destination for various reasons. First of all it was closer to Nagoya and so I could make up some time. Secondly - just like Makino - it lies on the shore of Japan's biggest lake, Biwako which is located not too far north from Kyoto. I had been there a few times before about three years ago, but only near a town named Otsu and had been itching to see some more of the lake from another angle for quite a while. Thirdly, both places start with M. I could always go to Makino on my way back anyway...



The weather was splendid; a few clouds here and there, but mostly blue skies. This was a problem, because I wanted to make a time lapse video at Biwako, which was supposed to show the movement of the clouds over the lake with a mountain range barely visible on the far side of the lake. I did make that time lapse video, but it turned out very, very boring. So boring in fact that I could not convince myeself to upload it. A couple of stops before Maibara I decided it wasn't worth it, because I had heard it is mainly a public transportation hub and thought about getting off at Hakone, one stop before Maibara. Seeing Hakone station though, I soon realized that this was not the kind of place I wanted to visit, I wanted something smaller - I wanted the Japanese countryside. I went past Maibara and got off one stop further north at a tiny place called Sakata.



Now, in order to imagine how small this place is, you have to know that, when you exit the station, there are only rice fields as far as the eye can see and far across the planes - about a twenty minute walk away - is Sakata itself. At least that is what you see when you get out the station through the same exit as I did. I later noticed the other side of the station does in fact have some buildings right next to it and even a couple of shrines and temples which according to the local tourist board's information maps are worth seeing, but I highly doubt that. Seeing those rice fields move like waves in the wind, I decided to head to the main village and Lake Biwa. The lake seemed angry. The waves were surprisingly large - and roared fiercely as the came closer to the shore. Some Japanese families were camping on the shore and we had a small chat. One family had brought a jetski, but sadly they would not allow me to ride it. I took pictures of the lake, its surroundings and headed back. The whole time I was wishing for a 200mm lens - so many birds, so many small animals to snap, but alas my 50mm lens could not get up close enough.



Back at the station I headed for Nagoya. Of course, because of rush hour, I found myself standing for the next two hours. At least Japanese trains are well airconditioned. A somewhat dirty looking Japanese salaryman stood next to me, giving me the evil eye. I am sure it was him that kept on releasing horribly foul smelling gases. I was greeted in Nagoya by Yuka, an old friend of mine from those lovely Doshisha days and Simon, a fellow University of Sheffield student. We headed to an Japanese bar, got mildly drunk, went home and to sleep.

All photos from Sakata can be found here.

0 comments: